Since then I have dutifully
capitalized the word although it was lowercased in almost all of the citations
Merriam-Webster photocopied for me. Dempsey’s word is too apt. I have never
heard these things called anything but Dumpsters. I do not know anyone who
knows the generic name for these objects. From time to time, however, I hear a
wino or hobo give some corrupted credit to the original and call them Dipsy
Dumpsters.
I began Dumpster diving about
a year before I became homeless.
I prefer the term
“scavenging” and use the word “scrounging” when I mean to be obscure. I have
heard people, evidently meaning to be polite, using the word “foraging,” but I
prefer to reserve that word for gathering nuts and berries and such which I do
also according to the season and the opportunity. “Dumpster diving” seems to me
to be a little too cute and, in my case, inaccurate, because I lack the
athletic ability to lower myself into the Dumpsters as the true divers do, much
to their increased profit.
I like the frankness of the
word “scavenging,” which I can hardly think of without picturing a big black
snail on an aquarium wall. I live from the refuse of others. I am a scavenger.
I think it a sound and honorable niche, although if I could I would naturally
prefer to live the comfortable consumer life, perhaps—and only perhaps—as a
slightly less wasteful consumer owing to what I have learned as a scavenger.
While my dog Lizbeth and I
were still living in the house on Avenue B in Austin, as my savings ran out, I
put almost all of my sporadic income into rent. The necessities of daily life I
began to extract from Dumpsters. Yes, we ate from Dumpsters. Except for jeans,
all my clothes came from Dumpsters. Boom boxes, candles, bedding, toilet paper,
medicine, books, a typewriter, a virgin male love doll, change sometimes
amounting to many dollars: I have acquired many things from the Dumpsters.
I have learned much as a
scavenger. I mean to put some of what I have learned down here, beginning with
the practical art of dumpster diving and proceeding to the abstract.
What is safe to eat?
After all, the finding of
objects is becoming something of an urban art. Even respectable employed people
will sometimes find something tempting sticking out of a Dumpster or standing
beside one. Quite a number of people, not all of them of the bohemian type, are
willing to brag that they found this or that piece in the trash. But eating
from Dumpsters is the thing that separates the dilettanti from the
professionals.
Eating safely from the
Dumpsters involves three principles: using the senses and common sense to
evaluate the condition of the found materials, knowing the Dumpsters of a given
area and checking them regularly, and seeking always to answer the question,
“Why was this discarded?”
Perhaps everyone who has a
kitchen and a regular supply of groceries has, at one time or another, made a
sandwich and eaten half of it before discovering mold on the bread or got a
mouthful of milk before realizing the milk had turned. Nothing of the sort is
likely to happen to a Dumpster diver because he is constantly reminded that
most food is discarded for a reason. Yet a lot of perfectly good food can be
found in Dumpsters.
Canned goods, for example,
turn up fairly often in the Dumpsters I frequent. All except the most phobic
people would be willing to eat from a can even if it came from a Dumpster.
Canned goods are among the safest of foods to be found in dumpsters, but are
not utterly foolproof.
Although very rare with
modern canning methods, botulism is a possibility. Most other forms of food
poisoning seldom do lasting harm to a healthy person. But botulism is almost
certainly fatal and often the first symptom is death. Except for carbonated beverages,
all canned goods should contain a slight vacuum and suck air when first
punctured. Bulging, rusty, dented cans and cans that spew when punctured should
be avoided, especially when the contents are not very acidic or syrupy.
Heat can break down the
botulin, but this requires much more cooking than most people do to canned
goods. To the extent that botulism occurs at all, of course, it can occur in
cans on pantry shelves as well as in cans from Dumpsters. Need I say that
home-canned goods found in Dumpsters are simply too risky to be recommended.
From time to time one of my
companions, aware of the source of my provisions, will ask, “Do you think these
crackers are really safe to eat?” For some reason it is most often the crackers
they ask about.
The question always makes me
angry. Of course I would not offer my companion anything I had doubts about.
But more than that I wonder why he cannot evaluate the condition of the
crackers for himself. I have no special knowledge and I have been wrong before.
Since he knows where the food comes from, it seems to me he ought to assume
some of the responsibility for deciding what he will put in his mouth.
For myself I have few qualms
about dry foods such as crackers, cookies, cereal, chips, and pasta if they are
free of visible contaminates and still dry and crisp. Most often such things
are found in the original packaging, which is not so much a positive sign as it
is the absence of a negative one.
Raw fruits and vegetables
with intact skins seem perfectly safe to me, excluding of course the obviously
rotten. Many are discarded for minor imperfections which can be pared away.
Leafy vegetables, grapes, cauliflower, broccoli, and similar things may be
contaminated by liquids and may be impractical to wash.
Candy, especially hard candy,
is usually safe if it has not drawn ants. Chocolate is often discarded only
because it has become discolored as the cocoa butter de-emulsified. Candying
after all is one method of food preservation because pathogens do not like very
sugary substances.
All of these foods might be
found in any Dumpster and can be evaluated with some confidence largely on the
basis of appearance. Beyond these are foods which cannot be correctly evaluated
without additional information.
I began scavenging by pulling
pizzas out of the Dumpster behind a pizza delivery shop. In general prepared
food requires caution, but in this case I knew when the shop closed and went to
the Dumpster as soon as the last of the help left.
Such shops often get prank
orders, called “bogus.” Because help seldom stays long at these places pizzas
are often made with the wrong topping, refused on delivery for being cold, or
baked incorrectly. The products to be discarded are boxed up because inventory
is kept by counting boxes: a boxed pizza can be written off an unboxed pizza
does not exist.
I never placed a bogus order
to increase the supply of pizzas and I believe no one else was scavenging in
this Dumpster. But the people in the shop became suspicious and began to retain
their garbage in the shop overnight.
While it lasted I had a
steady supply of fresh, sometimes warm pizza. Because I knew the Dumpster I
knew the source of the pizza, and because I visited the Dumpster regularly I
knew what was fresh and what was yesterday’s.
The area I frequent is
inhabited by many affluent college students. I am not here by chance; the
Dumpsters in this area are very rich. Students throw out many good things,
including food. In particular they tend to throw everything out when they move
at the end of a semester, before and after breaks, and around midterm when many
of them despair of college. So I find it advantageous to keep an eye on the
academic calendar.
The students throw food away
around the breaks because they do not know whether it has spoiled or will spoil
before they return. A typical discard is a half jar of peanut butter. In fact
non-organic peanut butter does not require refrigeration and is unlikely to
spoil in any reasonable time. The student does not know that, and since it is
Daddy’s money, the student decides not to take a chance.
Opened containers require
caution and some attention to the question “Why was this discarded?” But in the
case of discards from student apartments, the answer may be that the item was
discarded through carelessness, ignorance, or wastefulness. This can sometimes
be deduced when the item is found with many others, including some that are
obviously perfectly good.
Some students, and others,
approach defrosting a freezer by chucking out the whole lot. Not only do the
circumstances of such a find tell the story, but also the mass of frozen goods
stays cold for a long time and items may be found still frozen or freshly
thawed. Yogurt, cheese, and sour cream are items that are often thrown out
while they are still good. Occasionally I find a cheese with a spot of mold,
which of course I just pare off, and because it is obvious why such a cheese
was discarded, I treat it with less suspicion than an apparently perfect cheese
found in similar circumstances.
Yogurt is often discarded,
still sealed, only because the expiration date on the carton has passed. This
is one of my favorite finds because yogurt will keep for several days, even in
warm weather.
Students throw out canned
goods and staples at the end of semesters and when they give up college at
midterm. Drugs, pornography, spirits, and the like are often discarded when
parents are expected—Dad’s day, for example. And spirits also turn up after big
party weekends, presumably discarded by the newly reformed. Wine and spirits,
of course, keep perfectly well even after opened.
My test for carbonated soft
drinks is whether they still fizz vigorously. Many juices or other beverages
are too acid or too syrupy to cause much concern provided they are not visibly
contaminated. Liquids, however, require some care.
One hot day I found a large
jug of Pat O’Brien’s Hurricane mix. The jug had been opened, but it was still
ice cold. I drank three large glasses before it became apparent to me that
someone had added the rum to the mix, and not a little rum. I never tasted the rum
and by the time I began to feel the effects I had already ingest-ed a very
large quantity of the beverage. Some divers would have considered this a boon,
but being suddenly and thoroughly intoxicated in a public place in the early
afternoon is not my idea of a good time.
I have heard of people
maliciously contaminating discarded food and even handouts, but mostly I have
heard of this from people with vivid imaginations who have had no experience
with Dumpsters themselves. Just before the pizza shop stopped discarding its
garbage at night, jalapenos began showing up on most of the discarded pizzas.
If indeed this was meant to discourage me it was a wasted effort because I am a
native Texan.
For myself, I avoid game,
poultry, pork, and egg-based foods whether I find them raw or cooked. I seldom
have the means to cook what I find, but when I do I avail myself of plentiful
supplies of beef which is often in very good condition. I suppose fish becomes
disagreeable before it becomes dangerous. The dog is happy to have any such
thing that is past its prime and, in fact, does not recognize fish as food
until it is quite strong.
Home leftovers, as opposed to
surpluses from restaurants, are very often bad. Evidently, especially among
students, there is a common type of personality that carefully wraps up even
the smallest leftover and shoves it into the back of the refrigerator for six
months or so before discarding it. Characteristic of this type are the reused
jars and margarine tubs which house the remains.
I avoid ethnic foods I am
unfamiliar with. If I do not know what it is supposed to look like when it is
good, I cannot be certain I will be able to tell if it is bad.
No matter how careful I am I
still get dysentery at least once a month, oftener in warm weather. I do not
want to paint too romantic a picture. Dumpster diving has serious drawbacks as
a way of life.
I learned to scavenge
gradually, on my own. Since then I have initiated several companions into the
trade. I have learned that there is a predictable series of stages a person
goes through in learning to scavenge.
At first the new scavenger is
filled with disgust and self-loathing. He is ashamed of being seen and may lurk
around, trying to duck behind things, or he may try to dive at night. (In fact,
most people instinctively look away from a scavenger. By skulking around, the
novice calls attention to himself and arouses suspicion. Diving at night is
ineffective and needlessly messy.)
Every grain of rice seems to
be a maggot. Everything seems to stink. He can wipe the egg yolk off the found
can, but he cannot erase the stigma of eating garbage out of his mind.
That stage passes with
experience. The scavenger finds a pair of running shoes that fit and look and
smell brand new. He finds a pocket calculator in perfect working order. He
finds pristine ice cream, still frozen, more than he can eat or keep. He begins
to understand: people do throw away perfectly good stuff, a lot of perfectly
good stuff.
At this stage, Dumpster
shyness begins to dissipate. The diver, after all, has the last laugh. He is
finding all manner of good things which are his for the taking. Those who
disparage his profession are the fools, not he.
He may begin to hang onto
some perfectly good things for which he has neither a use nor a market. Then he
begins to take note of the things which are not perfectly good but are nearly
so. He mates a Walkman with broken earphones and one that is missing a battery
cover. He picks up things which he can repair.
At this stage he may become
lost and never recover. Dumpsters are full of things of some potential value to
someone and also of things which never have much intrinsic value but are
interesting. All the Dumpster divers I have known come to the point of trying
to acquire everything they touch. Why not take it, they reason, since it is all
free.
This is, of course, hopeless.
Most divers come to realize that they must restrict themselves to items of
relatively immediate utility. But in some cases the diver simply cannot control
himself. I have met several of these pack-rat types. Their ideas of the values
of various pieces of junk verge on the psychotic. Every bit of glass may be a
diamond, they think, and all that glistens, gold.
I tend to gain weight when I
am scavenging. Partly this is because I always find far more pizza and
doughnuts than water-packed tuna, nonfat yogurt, and fresh vegetables. Also I
have not developed much faith in the reliability of Dumpsters as a food source,
although it has been proven to me many times. I tend to eat as if I have no
idea where my next meal is coming from. But mostly I just hate to see food go
to waste and so I eat much more than I should. Something like this drives the
obsession to collect junk.
As for collecting objects, I
usually restrict myself to collecting one kind of small object at a time, such
as pocket calculators, sun- glasses, or campaign buttons. To live on the street
I must anticipate my needs to a certain extent: I must pick up and save warm
bedding I find in August because it will not be found in Dumpsters in November.
But even if I had a home with extensive storage space I could not save
everything that might be valuable in some contingency.
I have proprietary feelings
about my Dumpsters. As I have suggested, it is no accident that I scavenge from
Dumpsters where good finds are common. But my limited experience with Dumpsters
in other areas suggests to me that it is the population of competitors rather
than the affluence of the dumpers that most affects the feasibility of survival
by scavenging. The large number of competitors is what puts me off the idea of
trying to scavenge in places like Los Angeles.
Curiously, I do not mind my
direct competition, other scavengers, so much as I hate the can scroungers.
People scrounge cans because
they have to have a little cash. I have tried scrounging cans with an
able-bodied companion. Afoot a can scrounger simply cannot make more than a few
dollars a day. One can extract the necessities of life from the Dumpsters
directly with far less effort than would be required to accumulate the
equivalent value in cans.
Can scroungers, then, are
people who must have small amounts of cash. These are drug addicts and winos,
mostly the latter because the amounts of cash are so small.
Spirits and drugs do, like
all other commodities, turn up in dumpsters and the scavenger will from time to
time have a half bottle of a rather good wine with his dinner. But the wino
cannot survive on these occasional finds; he must have his daily dose to stave
off the DTs. All the cans he can carry will buy about three bottles of Wild
Irish Rose.
I do not begrudge them the
cans, but can scroungers tend to tear up the Dumpster, mixing the contents and
littering the area. They become so specialized that they can see only cans.
They earn my contempt by passing up change, canned goods, and readily hock-able
items.
There are precious few
courtesies among scavengers. But it is a common practice to set aside surplus
items: pairs of shoes, clothing, canned goods, and such. A true scavenger hates
to see good stuff go to waste and what he cannot use he leaves in good
condition in plain sight.
Can scroungers lay waste to
everything in their path and will stir so one of a pair of good shoes to the
bottom of a Dumpster, to be lost or ruined in the muck. Can scroungers will
even go through individual garbage cans, something I have never seen a
scavenger do.
Individual garbage cans are
set out on the public easement only on garbage days. On other days going
through them requires trespassing close to a dwelling. Going through individual
garbage cans without scattering litter is almost impossible. Litter is likely
to reduce the public’s tolerance of scavenging. Individual garbage cans are
simply not as productive as Dumpsters; people in houses and duplexes do not
move as often and for some reason do not tend to discard as much useful
material. Moreover, the time required to go through one garbage can that serves
one household is not much less than the time required to go through a Dumpster
that contains the refuse of twenty apartments.
But likely strongest
reservation about going through individual garbage cans is that this seems to
me a very personal kind of invasion to which I would object if I were a
householder. Although many things in Dumpsters are obviously meant never to
come to light, a Dumpster is somehow less personal.
I avoid trying to draw
conclusions about the people who dump in the Dumpsters I frequent. I think it
would be unethical to do so, although I know many people will find the idea of
scavenger ethics too funny for words.
Dumpsters contain bank
statements, bills, correspondence, and other documents, just as anyone might
expect. But there are also less obvious sources of information. Pill bottles,
for example. The labels on pill bottles contain the name of the patient, the
name of the doctor, and the name of the drug. AIDS drugs and antipsychotic
medicines, to name but two groups, are specific and are seldom prescribed for
any other disorders. The plastic compacts for birth control pills usually have
complete label information.
Despite all of this sensitive
information, I have had only one apartment resident object to my going through
the Dumpster. In that case it turned out the resident was a university athlete
who was taking bets and was afraid I would turn up his wager slips.
Occasionally a find tells a
story. I once found a small paper bag containing some unused condoms, several
partial tubes of flavored sexual lubricant, a partially used compact of birth
control pills, and the torn pieces of a picture of a young man. Clearly she was
through with him and planning to give up sex altogether.
Dumpster things are often
sad—abandoned teddy bears, shredded wedding books, despaired-of sales kits. I
find many pets lying in state in Dumpsters. Although I hope to get off the
streets so that Lizbeth can have a long and comfortable old age, I know this hope
is not very realistic. So I suppose when her time comes she too will go into a
Dumpster. I will have no better place for her. And after all, for most of her
life her livelihood has come from the Dumpster. When she finds something I
think is safe that has been spilled into the Dumpster I let her have it. She
already knows the route around the best Dumpsters. I like to think that if she
survives me she will have a chance of evading the dog catcher and of finding
her sustenance on the route.
Silly vanities also come to
rest in the Dumpsters. I am a rather accomplished needleworker. I get a lot of
materials from the Dumpsters. Evidently sorority girls, hoping to impress
someone, perhaps themselves, with their mastery of a womanly art, buy a lot of
embroider-by-number kits, work a few stitches horribly, and eventually discard
the whole mess. I pull out their stitches, turn the canvas over, and work
original designs. Do not think I refrain from chuckling as I make original
gifts from these kits.
I find diaries and journals.
I have often thought of compiling a book of literary found objects. And perhaps
I will one day. But what I find is hopelessly commonplace and bad without
being, even unconsciously, camp. College students also discard their papers. I
am horrified to discover the kind of paper which now merits an “A” in an
undergraduate course. I am grateful, however, for the number of good books and
magazines the students throw out.
In the area I know best I
have never discovered vermin in the Dumpster, but there are two kinds of kitty
surprise. One is alley cats which I meet as they leap, claws first, out of
Dumpsters. This is especially thrilling when I have Lizbeth in tow. The other
kind of kitty surprise is a plastic garbage bag filled with some ponderous,
amorphous mass. This always proves to be used cat litter.
City bees harvest doughnut
glaze and this makes the Dumpster at the doughnut shop more interesting. My
faith in the instinctive wisdom of animals is always shaken whenever I see
Lizbeth attempt to catch a bee in her mouth, which she does whenever bees are
present. Evidently some birds find Dumpsters profitable, for birdie surprise is
almost as common as kitty surprise of the first kind. In hunting season all
kinds of small game turn up in Dumpsters, some of it, sadly, not entirely dead.
Curiously, summer and winter, maggots are uncommon.
The worst of the living and
near-living hazards of the Dumpsters are the fire ants. The food that they
claim is not much of a loss, but they are vicious and aggressive. It is very
easy to brush against some surface of the Dumpster and pick up half a dozen or
more fire ants, usually in some sensitive area such as the underarm. One
advantage of bringing Lizbeth along as I make Dumpster rounds is that, for
obvious reasons, she is very alert to ground-based fire ants. When Lizbeth
recognizes the signs of fire ant infestation around our feet she does the Dance
of the Zillion Fire Ants. I have learned not to ignore this warning from
Lizbeth, whether I perceive the tiny ants or not, but to remove ourselves at
Lizbeth’s first pas de bourrĂ©e. All the more so because the ants are the worst
in the months I wear flip-flops, if I have them.
(Perhaps someone will
misunderstand the above. Lizbeth does the Dance of the Zillion Fire Ants when
she recognizes more fire ants than she cares to eat, not when she is being
bitten. Since I have learned to react promptly, she does not get bitten at all.
It is the isolated patrol of fire ants that falls in Lizbeth’s range that
deserve pity. Lizbeth finds them quite tasty.)
By far the best way to go
through a Dumpster is to lower yourself into it. Most of the good stuff tends
to settle at the bottom because it is usually weightier than the rubbish. My
more athletic companions have often demonstrated to me that they can extract
much good material from a Dumpster I have already been over.
To those psychologically or
physically unprepared to enter a Dumpster, I recommend a stout stick,
preferably with some barb or hook at one end. The hook can be used to grab
plastic garbage bags. When I find canned goods or other objects loose at the
bottom of a Dumpster I usually can roll them into a small bag that I can then
hoist up. Much Dumpster diving is a matter of experience for which nothing will
do except practice.
Dumpster diving is outdoor
work, often surprisingly pleasant. It is not entirely predictable; things of
interest turn up every day and some say there are finds of great value. I am
always very pleased when I can turn up exactly the thing I most wanted to find.
Yet in spite of the element of chance, scavenging more than most other pursuits
tends to yield returns in some proportion to the effort and intelligence
brought to bear. It is very sweet to turn up a few dollars in change from a
Dumpster that has just been gone over by a wino.
The land is now covered with
cities. The cities are full of Dumpsters. I think of scavenging as a modern
form of self-reliance. In any event, after ten years of government service,
where everything is geared to the lowest common denominator, I find work that
rewards initiative and effort refreshing. Certainly I would be happy to have a
sinecure again, but I am not heartbroken not to have one anymore.
I find from the experience of
scavenging two rather deep lessons. The first is to take what I can use and let
the rest go by. I have come to think that there is no value in the abstract. A
thing I cannot use or make useful, perhaps by trading, has no value however
fine or rare it may be. I mean useful in a broad sense—so, for example, some
art I would think useful and valuable, but other art might be otherwise for me.
I was shocked to realize that
some things are not worth acquiring, but now I think it is so. Some material
things are white elephants that eat up the possessor’s substance.
The second lesson is of the
transience of material being. This has not quite converted me to a dualist, but
it has made some headway in that direction. I do not suppose that ideas are
immortal, but certainly mental things are longer-lived than other material
things.
Once I was the sort of person
who invests material objects with sentimental value. Now I no longer have those
things, but I have the sentiments yet.
Many times in my travels I
have lost everything but the clothes I was wearing and Lizbeth. The things I
find in Dumpsters, the love letters and ragdolls of so many lives, remind me of
this lesson. Now I hardly pick up a thing without envisioning the time I will
cast it away. This I think is a healthy state of mind. Almost everything I have
now has already been cast out at least once, proving that what I own is
valueless to someone.
Anyway, I find my desire to
grab for the gaudy bauble has been largely sated. I think this is an attitude I
share with the very wealthy—we both know there is plenty more where what we
have came from. Between us are the rat-race millions who have confounded their
selves with the objects they grasp and who nightly scavenge the cable channels
looking for they know not what.
I am sorry for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment