EVERY NIGHT before going to
bed, Hugh steps outside to consider the stars. His interest is not scientific —
he doesn't pinpoint the constellations or make casual references to Canopus;
rather, he just regards the mass of them, occasionally pausing to sigh. When
asked if there's life on other planets, he says, "Yes, of course. Look at
the odds."
It hardly seems fair we'd get
the universe all to ourselves, but on a personal level I'm highly disturbed by
the thought of extraterrestrial life. If there are, in fact, billions of other
civilizations, where does that leave our celebrities? If worth is measured on a
sliding scale of recognition, what would it mean if we were all suddenly
obscure? How would we know our place?
In trying to make sense of
this, I think back to a 1968 Labor Day celebration at the Raleigh Country Club.
I was at the snack bar, listening to a group of sixth-graders who lived in
another part of town and sat discussing significant changes in their upcoming
school year. According to the girl named Janet, neither Pam Dobbins nor J. J.
Jackson had been invited to the Fourth of July party hosted by the Duffy twins,
who later told Kath Matthews that both Pam and J.J. were out of the picture as
far as the seventh grade was concerned. "Totally, completely out,"
Janet said. "Poof."
I didn't know any Pam Dobbins
or J. J. Jackson, but the reverential tone of Janet's voice sent me into a
state of mild shock. Call me naive, but it had simply never occurred to me that
other schools might have their own celebrity circles. At the age of twelve, I
thought the group at E. C. Brooks was if not nationally known, then at least
its own private phenomenon. Why else would our lives revolve around it so
completely? I myself was not a member of my school's popular crowd, but I
recall thinking that, whoever they were, Janet's popular crowd couldn't begin
to compete with ours. But what if I was wrong? What if I'd wasted my entire
life comparing myself with people who didn't really matter? Try as I might, I
still can't wrap my mind around it.
They banded together in the
third grade. Ann Carlsworth, Christie Kaymore, Deb Bevins, Mike Holliwell, Doug
Middleton, Thad Pope: they were the core of the popular crowd, and for the next
six years my classmates and I studied their lives the way we were supposed to
study math and English. What confused us most was the absence of any specific
formula. Were they funny? No. Interesting? Yawn. None owned pools or horses.
They had no special talents, and their grades were unremarkable. It was their
dearth of excellence that gave the rest of us hope and kept us on our toes.
Every now and then they'd select a new member, and the general attitude among
the student body was "Oh, pick me!" It didn't matter what you were
like on your own. The group would make you special. That was its magic.
So complete was their power
that I actually felt honored when one of them hit me in the mouth with a rock.
He'd gotten me after school, and upon returning home, I ran into my sister's
bedroom, hugging my bloody Kleenex and crying, "It was Thad!!!"
Lisa was one grade higher
than me, but still she understood the significance. "Did he say
anything?" she asked. "Did you save the rock?"
My father demanded I
retaliate, saying I ought to knock the guy on his ass.
"Oh, Dad."
"Aww, baloney. Clock him
on the snot locker and he'll go down like a ton of bricks."
"Are you talking to me?"
I asked. The archaic slang aside, who did my father think I was? Boys who spent
their weekends making banana nut muffins did not, as a rule, excel in the art
of hand-to-hand combat.
"I mean, come on, Dad," Lisa said. "Wake
up."
The following afternoon I was taken to Dr. Povlitch for
X-rays. The rock had damaged one of my bottom teeth, and there was some
question over who would pay for the subsequent root canal. I figured that since
my parents had conceived me, delivered me into the world, and raised me as a
permanent guest in their home, they should foot the bill, but my father thought
differently. He decided the Popes should pay, and I screamed as he picked up
the phone book.
"But you can't just. .call Thad's house."
"Oh yeah?" he said. "Watch me."
There were two Thad Popes in the Raleigh phone book, a
Junior and a Senior. The one in my class was what came after a Junior. He was a
Third. My father called both the Junior and the Senior, beginning each
conversation with the line "Lou Sedaris here. Listen, pal, we've got a
problem with your son."
He said our last name as if it meant something, as if we
were known and respected. This made it all the more painful when he was asked
to repeat it. Then to spell it.
A meeting was arranged for the following evening, and before
we left the house, I begged my father to change his clothes. He'd been building
an addition to the carport and was wearing a pair of khaki shorts smeared with
paint and spotted here and there with bits of dried concrete. Through a hole in
his tattered T-shirt, without squinting, it was possible to see his nipple.
"What the hell is wrong with this?" he asked.
"We're not staying for dinner, so who cares what I'm wearing?"
I yelled for my mother, and in the end he compromised by
changing his shirt.
From the outside, Thad's house didn't look much different
from anyone else's — just a standard split-level with what my father described
as a totally inadequate carport. Mr. Pope answered the door in a pair of
sherbet-colored golf pants and led us downstairs into what he called "the
rumpus room."
"Oh," I said, "this is nice!"
The room was damp and windowless and lit with hanging
Tiffany lampshades, the shards of colorful glass arranged to spell the words Busch
and Budweiser. The walls were paneled in imitation walnut, and the furniture
looked as though it had been hand-hewn by settlers who'd reconfigured parts of
their beloved Conestoga wagon to fashion such things as easy chairs and coffee
tables. Noticing the fraternity paddle hanging on the wall above the
television, my father launched into his broken Greek, saying "Kalispera
sas adhelfos!"
When Mr. Pope looked at him blankly, my father laughed and
offered a translation. "I said, 'Good evening, brother.' "
"Oh. . . right," Mr. Pope said. "Fraternities
are Greek."
He directed us toward a sofa and asked if we wanted
something to drink. Coke? A beer? I didn't want to deplete Thad's precious cola
supply, but before I could refuse, my father said sure, we'd have one of each.
The orders were called up the staircase, and a few minutes later Mrs. Pope came
down, carrying cans and plastic tumblers.
"Well, hello there," my father said. This was his
standard greeting to a beautiful woman, but I could tell he was just saying it
as a joke. Mrs. Pope wasn't unattractive, just ordinary, and as she set the
drinks before us, I noticed that her son had inherited her blunt, slightly
upturned nose, which looked good on him but caused her to appear overly
suspicious and judgmental.
"So," she said. "I hear you've been to the
dentist." She was just trying to make small talk, but because of her nose,
it came off sounding like an insult, as if I'd just had a cavity filled and was
now looking for someone to foot the bill.
"I'll say he's been to the dentist," my father
said. "Someone hits you in the mouth with a rock and I'd say the dentist's
office is pretty much the first place a reasonable person would go."
Mr. Pope held up his hands. "Whoa now," he said.
"Let's just calm things down a little." He yelled upstairs for his
son, and when there was no answer he picked up the phone, telling Thad to stop
running his mouth and get his butt down to the rumpus room ASAP.
A rush of footsteps on the carpeted staircase and then Thad
sprinted in, all smiles and apologies. The minister had called. The game had
been rescheduled. "Hello, sir, and you are. .?"
He looked my father in the eye and firmly shook his hand,
holding it in his own for just the right amount of time. While most handshakes
mumbled, his spoke clearly, saying both We'll get through this as quickly as
possible and I'm looking forward to your vote this coming November.
I'd thought that seeing him without his group might be
unsettling, like finding a single arm on the sidewalk, but Thad was fully
capable of operating independently. Watching him in action, I understood that
his popularity was not an accident. Unlike a normal human being, he possessed
an uncanny ability to please people. There was no sucking up or awkward
maneuvering to fit the will of others. Rather, much like a Whitman's sampler,
he seemed to offer a little bit of everything. Pass on his athletic ability and
you might partake of his excellent manners, his confidence, his coltish
enthusiasm. Even his parents seemed invigorated by his presence, uncrossing
their legs and sitting up just a little bit straighter as he took a seat beside
them. Had the circumstances been different, my father would have been all over
him, probably going so far as to call him son — but money was involved, so he
steeled himself.
"All right, then," Mr. Pope said. "Now that
everyone's accounted for, I'm hoping we can clear this up. Sticks and stones
aside, I suspect this all comes down to a little misunderstanding between
friends."
I lowered my eyes, waiting for Thad to set his father
straight. "Friends? With him?" I expected laughter or the famous Thad
snort, but instead he said nothing. And with his silence, he won me completely.
A little misunderstanding — that's exactly what it was. How had I not seen it
earlier?
The immediate goal was to save my friend, and so I claimed
to have essentially thrown myself in the path of Thad's fast-moving rock.
"What the hell was he throwing rocks for?" my
father asked. "What the hell was he throwing them at? "
Mrs. Pope frowned, implying that such language was not
welcome in the rumpus room.
"I mean, Jesus Christ, the guy's got to be a complete
idiot."
Thad swore he hadn't been aiming at anything, and I backed
him up, saying it was just one of those things we all did. "Like in
Vietnam or whatever. It was just friendly fire."
My father asked what the hell I knew about Vietnam, and
again Thad's mother winced, saying that boys picked up a lot of this talk by
watching the news.
"You don't know what you're talking about," my
father said.
"What my wife meant. .," Mr. Pope said.
"Aww, baloney."
The trio of Popes exchanged meaningful glances, holding what
amounted to a brief, telepathic powwow. "This man crazy," the smoke
signals read. "Make heap big trouble for others."
I looked at my father, a man in dirty shorts who drank his
beer from the can rather than pouring it into his tumbler, and I thought, You
don't belong here. More precisely, I decided that he was the reason I didn't
belong. The hokey Greek phrases, the how-to lectures on mixing your own
concrete, the squabble over who would pay the stupid dentist bill — little by
little, it had all seeped into my bloodstream, robbing me of my natural ability
to please others. For as long as I could remember, he'd been telling us that it
didn't matter what other people thought: their judgment was crap, a waste of
time, baloney. But it did matter, especially when those people were these
people.
"Well," Mr. Pope said, "I can see that this
is going nowhere."
My father laughed. "Yeah, you got that right." It
sounded like a parting sentence, but rather than standing to leave, he leaned
back in the sofa and rested his beer can upon his stomach. "We're all
going nowhere."
At this point I'm fairly sure that Thad and I were
envisioning the same grim scenario. While the rest of the world moved on, my
increasingly filthy and bearded father would continue to occupy the rumpus-room
sofa. Christmas would come, friends would visit, and the Popes would bitterly
direct them toward the easy chairs. "Just ignore him," they'd say.
"He'll go home sooner or later."
In the end, they agreed to pay for half of the root canal,
not because they thought it was fair but because they wanted us out of their
house.
Some friendships are formed by a commonality of interests
and ideas: you both love judo or camping or making your own sausage. Other
friendships are forged in alliance against a common enemy. On leaving Thad's
house, I decided that ours would probably be the latter. We'd start off
grousing about my father, and then, little by little, we'd move on to the
hundreds of other things and people that got on our nerves. "You hate
olives," I imagined him saying. "I hate them, too!"
As it turned out, the one thing we both hated was me.
Rather, I hated me. Thad couldn't even summon up the enthusiasm. The day after
the meeting, I approached him in the lunchroom, where he sat at his regular
table, surrounded by his regular friends. "Listen," I said, "I'm
really sorry about that stuff with my dad." I'd worked up a whole long
speech, complete with imitations, but by the time I finished my mission
statement, he'd turned to resume his conversation with Doug Middleton. Our
perjured testimony, my father's behavior, even the rock throwing: I was so far
beneath him that it hadn't even registered.
Poof.
The socialites of E. C. Brooks shone even brighter in junior
high, but come tenth grade, things began to change. Desegregation drove a lot
of the popular people into private schools, and those who remained seemed silly
and archaic, deposed royalty from a country the average citizen had ceased to
care about.
Early in our junior year, Thad was jumped by a group of the
new black kids, who yanked off his shoes and threw them in the toilet. I knew I
was supposed to be happy, but part of me felt personally assaulted. True, he'd
been a negligent prince, yet still I believed in the monarchy. When his name
was called at graduation, it was I who clapped the longest, outlasting even his
parents, who politely stopped once he'd left the stage.
I thought about Thad a lot over the coming years, wondering
where he went to college and if he joined a fraternity. The era of the Big Man
on Campus had ended, but the rowdy houses with their pool tables and fake moms
continued to serve as reunion points for the once popular, who were now viewed as
date rapists and budding alcoholics. I tell myself that while his brothers
drifted toward a confused and bitter adulthood, Thad stumbled into the class
that changed his life. He's the poet laureate of Liechtenstein, the surgeon who
cures cancer with love, the ninth-grade teacher who insists that the world is
big enough for everyone. When moving to another city, I'm always hoping to find
him living in the apartment next door. We'll meet in the hallway and he'll
stick out his hand, saying, "Excuse me, but don't I — shouldn't I know
you?" It doesn't have to happen today, but it does have to happen. I've
kept a space waiting for him, and if he doesn't show up, I'm going to have to
forgive my father.
The root canal that was supposed to last for ten years has
now lasted for over thirty, though it's nothing to be proud of. Having
progressively dulled and weakened, the tooth is now a brownish gray color the
Conran's catalog refers to as "Kabuki." It's hanging in there, but
just barely. While Dr. Povlitch worked out of a converted brick house beside
the Colony Shopping Center, my current dentist, Doctor Guig, has an office near
the Madeleine, in Paris. On a recent visit, he gripped my dead tooth between
his fingertips and gently jiggled it back and forth. I hate to unnecessarily
exhaust his patience, so when he asked me what had happened, it took me a
moment to think of the clearest possible answer. The past was far too
complicated to put into French, so instead I envisioned a perfect future, and
attributed the root canal to a little misunderstanding between friends.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI found this passage very interesting and extremely relevant to today's society.Just like in this passage,there are always the more "popular" kids at school,the people who everyone seems to know and wants to be. I found it funny how the narrator felt honored to be hit in the mouth with a rock by one of the popular kids,Thad. It was almost as if he was happy his tooth was knocked out because it gave him reason to believe that Thad noticed him. This passage just goes to show that there will always be the popular kids, the kids that seem to have it all and others will always have the desire to be noticed and recognized by them. In class we also talked about the irony of how the narrator still liked and "looked up to" Thad after time went on. It's strange to think about because if you put yourself 5 or 6 years from now, chances are the people you considered popular and perfect most likely wouldn't be considered that way to you anymore. Image usually fades but in this passage it is not that way, Thad, even as time went on was still considered and viewed the same way. I find that very interesting because for us that ist the case, the way we view people does change overtime.
ReplyDeleteThe reflection the author had used to compare making sense of star gazing with social interactions with the popular flock of kids seemed a bit odd to me at first. Soon I began to understand when his Dad was ready to hold Thad's parents accountable when his son came home with a chipped tooth that they were practically one in the same. Even though The protagonist hadn't done anything to provoke the rock being flung into his face by Thad he appeared to feel apologetic for being the target for Thad's rock. The picture only became more clear to myself when I saw how even though the main character's father was being antagonistic inside to Thad's parents for the simple fact of a lion taking care of his pride, he was embarrassed for him
ReplyDeletedue his actions. Hugh star gazes because the same affection for something so normal that's inexplicably cherished without reason is applied to the narrator feelings for Thad who was about as average as him. In the end, the "popular" crowd are stars and even though we can never truly join them, we may continue to adore them.